
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) – Arkansas’ governor says he believes it’s possible to
find consensus for raising additional money for the state’s highways, but is
stopping short of endorsing a specific plan yet to do so.
Gov. Asa Hutchinson on Tuesday said a new highway funding plan is a priority
when lawmakers return to the Capitol in January for next year’s legislative
session. Hutchinson is a Republican who was re-elected last week.
Recent efforts to raise more money for Arkansas highways have stalled.
Lawmakers last year rejected an effort to raise $200 million for the state
highways, and the state Highway Commission in February dropped plans to try and
put a road funding plan on this year’s ballot.
Hutchinson spoke Tuesday at the annual meeting of the Arkansas Good Roads
Foundation.
WebReadyTM Powered by WireReady® NSI