Governor says no to Loy Beard commutation request

wireready_01-31-2025-11-20-03_00074_loygenebeard


Governor Sarah Sanders on Wednesday rejected a request from 78-year-old Loy Beard for commutation of his sentence.

A commutation is a reduction of a sentence imposed by a court and may mean either a lesser term of imprisonment or a reduction of the sentence to time served.

In 2022, Beard pled no contest to sex crimes involving children and was sentenced to 20 years in prison with 10 suspended and 10 to serve.

His request had been rejected earlier by the Arkansas Parole Board. After a commutation screening where the case for Beard was laid out, his request was found to be “without merit.”

The Parole Board’s action serves as a formal recommendation to the governor that the request be denied. The governor can either accept or reject the recommendation.

Beard had originally been charged with rape, 2nd degree sexual assault, sexual indecency with a child and sexual grooming of a child by a person 21-years or older.

His arrest resulted from a joint investigation by the Arkansas State Police Crimes Against Children Division and the Baxter County Sheriff’s office.

The investigation was triggered by a complaint from a parent of one of the victims.

Sexual grooming is described as a process in which a perpetrator gradually gains a victim’s trust. The goal is to have sexual relations with the victim. Victims are usually young children, teenagers or even vulnerable adults.

According to experts, grooming can take place in person, on the internet or in institutional settings.

The offender builds trust with the child and the adults around the child to gain access to and have time alone with the victim. If the offender can manipulate the child into becoming a cooperating participant, the likelihood of disclosure is reduced.

During Beard’s sentencing, as the events leading to the charges were being recited, the court was told that Beard had shown a pornographic movie to a very young child prior to having sexual contact with the girl.

In order to protect the victims, the court sealed the probable cause affidavit in the case. A no contact order was also issued prohibiting him having contact with the victims or with anyone less than 18-years-old.

During the time his case was before the Baxter County Circuit Court, Beard, acting as his own attorney, filed handwritten motions including one asking for dismissal of the charges against him.

None were granted.

He is an inmate at the Ouachita River Unit of the state prison system.

WebReadyTM Powered by WireReady® NSI